When it comes to something as significant as your divorce, it is always wise to seek legal counsel. People often have their reservations about hiring a lawyer. After all, a do-it-yourself divorce doesn’t cost much. There are benefits of hiring an attorney that cannot be denied. Family laws in Texas allow for no-fault divorce, but you cannot get a legal separation. An attorney can explain the laws, protect your rights and interests, ensuring that you don’t get a raw deal from your spouse. If you are looking for a Galveston, TX divorce attorney, here are some pointers to consider.
- Ask around. If you can ask your friends and family members for recommendations, it is always an advantage. In case you don’t have that option, check online. Top law firms in Galveston have individual websites, and there are also portals like Nolo and Avvo that can help in sorting options.
- Meet an attorney. Once you have shortlisted two to three options, it is time to meet an attorney. Some divorce lawyers do offer free consultation, while others may charge a minimal fee. Either way, you have to discuss your circumstances in depth with the attorney, and a personal appointment is necessary for that.
- Ask about costs. Since people are often extremely worried about divorce costs, it is best to address the ‘elephant in the room’ on day one. Ask the lawyer how they charge their clients. Typically, an hourly rate is common, but if yours is a no-fault divorce, the attorney may take a flat fee.
- Look for experience. Most divorce cases don’t end up in court, but some do. You need a lawyer, who can handle all possible circumstances and has the experience to show. There is no harm in asking questions related to a lawyer’s profile.
- Watch for red flags. You know a divorce lawyer is of no good when they start making tall promises. For instance, if a lawyer assures about alimony, be cautious as alimony is not easy to qualify for, in Texas. Don’t trust an attorney, who has no time to listen to you, or is answering your questions in broad strokes.
Check online now for best-rated attorneys in Galveston. Keep in mind that your lawyer is the most trusted resource for everything related to family law. They can also help in negotiating with your spouse, so that the divorce can be finalized sooner.